Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Rules

I'm not really sure how this came to pass but Caleb and I now sleep together on a mattress on the floor of his bedroom. No decision was made in favor of this arrangement. Somehow it just came to be. He occupies 75% of the mattress and the pillow. I get about seven inches of bed and a pair of old jeans to rest my head.

"Daddy," he whispers at 6 a.m. with alarm clock precision. "Watch a show." And thus my day begins. There is more negotiating than I had anticipated...and wrestling...and discussion of bodily functions. When Maddie wakes up, I become referee of a game in which I don't know the rules.

That has to be a foul, Time out.

"Can I come out yet?"

I don't know. "No, that's a two-minute foul."

"Why?"

I DON'T KNOW. Geeze, what's with these kids.

3 comments:

lisa midge said...

Oh Tim! You have been missed in LP1, and you will be missed in Boston. Well, all of the Hart clan really! Provo doesnt even know what to expect.

Jodi and Jesse said...

I just stumbled upon your family blog. Congrats on baby #3 and the big move. Good memories of LP1. Wish you guys the best!

John said...

A dad's role in his children's life goes through 4 phases: first a passing curiosity, then a jungle gym, then a referee, and finally a bank. Maybe you're still supposed to be a jungle gym? Seems a little early to become a bank...

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...