Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Caleb's Big Day

Once upon a time, I arrived home from work to a hero's welcome every day. Daddy! Daddy! Leaping. Bouncing. Running. Hugging.

This bucolic scene slowly gave way to me walking through the door to silence. "Hey, guys! I'm home." Cricket. Cricket. "I'm ho-ome!" Silence. "I'm home?"

Then, from the basement, just loud enough to hear over the "dum-be-dum-dum-be-dum" of Mario Kart: "Hi, dad."

Replaced by the Wii.

Tonight, however, the magic was back. Maddie and Caleb were in the front yard when I came around the corner from the bus stop."Daddy!" Screaming. Running.

Maddie ran into my arms. Caleb ran almost into my arms but stopped short. "Dad, today is the best day ever," he said. His face was radiant.

"Why, buddy?"

"Because I have my first love and it's Edaline."

Good work, little man.

No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...