Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The News

My departure to Pakistan was moved up one month to May 4. We were waiting until one month to go before telling the kids. Suddenly, one month to go was upon us. So we told the kids.

Maddie seemed to be taking it well at first but then asked if I would be here for her birthday. No.

Sobbing.

Then I said to Caleb, for no real reason other than I've seen it on TV or something, "You'll be the man of the house while I'm gone, buddy."

Until then he had been aloof to Maddie's distress. Tears welled in his eyes and he fought to keep cool. "But I don't know how to been a man of the house. I'm only a five-year-old."

"Yeah, buddy, that's OK. Your job is to be a five-year-old."

"I'll be the five-year-old of the house."

Then he was fine.

No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...