Sunday, September 11, 2011

Leaving

Observing spontaneous, uncontrollable expressions of love from my children has been miraculous.

Throughout my visit, in the middle of playing, Henry would yell out, "I love you dad!" As they ran circles around the living room in some kind of crazy chase-fight, he would yell it out without stopping. In the middle of watching a TV show he would look up and say it and then keep watching. All the time he would tell me he loved me.

The love was written plainly on their faces when they saw me exit the airport doors. The hugs. And again as they waived goodbye upon my departure.

To observe them in wonder of their own love for me is singular. It is curious that it gives me as much pain as joy. It makes me feel at once light and heavy.

God, bless my beautiful children.

No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...