The sense of purpose displayed by these folks in Hebron really got me thinking. That plus the Olympics.
I saw the photo of Mr. Pistorius with the little amputee girl. Then I thought of inspiration and my own children. I hope they will find a source of inspiration. Then I thought about the purpose of my parenting.
Do I parent for me or for my kids? Harder question than I thought once I really thought about it.
Olympians don't inspire others because they want to inspire others. Olympians inspire others because they want to be great and they make all the sacrifices necessary to do it. Their ambition gives us permission to have a little ambition of our own without feeling selfish. Which is also called inspiration.
And then I think of parenting. Will I inspire my kids by hovering around and harassing them all the time about how inspired they are? Or will I inspire them by pursuing my passions?
If I am parenting for them, I probably need to worry way less about them, let them figure out more stuff on their own, learn independence, gain a sense of self.
I saw the photo of Mr. Pistorius with the little amputee girl. Then I thought of inspiration and my own children. I hope they will find a source of inspiration. Then I thought about the purpose of my parenting.
Do I parent for me or for my kids? Harder question than I thought once I really thought about it.
Olympians don't inspire others because they want to inspire others. Olympians inspire others because they want to be great and they make all the sacrifices necessary to do it. Their ambition gives us permission to have a little ambition of our own without feeling selfish. Which is also called inspiration.
And then I think of parenting. Will I inspire my kids by hovering around and harassing them all the time about how inspired they are? Or will I inspire them by pursuing my passions?
If I am parenting for them, I probably need to worry way less about them, let them figure out more stuff on their own, learn independence, gain a sense of self.
1 comment:
well spoken. i learn so much from your posts.
Post a Comment