Saturday, December 14, 2013

Am I Bragging? Yes. Yes I Am.

Today was Cairo's annual Youth Death-by-Soccer. This is a six-game round robin tournament in which five-year olds who have been playing games for weeks with few onlookers and no score keeping suddenly have covens of eager mothers screaming at them to "get him!"

Unlike last year (see mid-November 2012 post for more details), I kept quiet, though I was assigned official score keeper and frequently had to correct "well intentioned" parents who were pretty sure their kid scored three goals, not two.*

Anyway, through six games, Henry's team was outscored 15-10, posting a record of 2-3-1. However, during the time Henry was on the field, his team outscored opponents 10-9. Henry scored 8 goals. While on the sideline, he was upset, exclaiming several times, "I'm letting down my team. Can I go back in?"

* They're five years old people. Get a grip.

No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...