Monday, June 16, 2014

A Taste of Charleston

Strange to say, I miss the chaotic traffic of Cairo. I stop at interminable red lights and think, In Cairo I could just drive around this mess. Traffic lights. Sigh.

I also discovered about myself that I have grown more fond of walkability than I had realized. Here in the Charleston suburb of Mt. Pleasant, nothing is walkable. Turns out, I miss being able to get most of what I need within walking distance. I am falling out of love with cars. No, I am not ready to go carless, but I am looking forward to biking in Germany.

Katie and I sleep at the Marriott Courtyard while the kids are sleeping at Papa J's. I drop in each morning around 8:30, get a dose of the always-on Fox News, and then we start the day. Water parks, boating, dolphins, arcade. Papa J introduced the kids to the wonder of dragging behind a boat in an inner tube.

Today, after three full days in the sun, the kids are zapped. Henry is asleep on my lap, Maddie and Caleb are asleep upstairs. I'm watching the World Cup. Traffic lights not withstanding, life is good in the USA.


No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...