Saturday, July 5, 2014

4th of July Highlights

My top two 4th of July moments, and then a chronology of the day (for the record).
  1. The Classy 97 float at the parade was the most boring and useless float ever, until the dude standing on top of the truck yelled out, channelling Alice Cooper, "Soft rock rules. Oh yeah!" Nailed it.
  2. Driving to the big fireworks display from the front yard display, Katie and I were talking in the front seat. Caleb interrupted to observe, "You know what grown ups are really good at? Having a conversation about the same thing for a long time. Kids change topics like every minute or so."

Turns out, Idaho Falls, ID is one of the best places to celebrate Independence Day (link). I agree. I started the day running the parade route in the Firecracker 5k. After years of running on a treadmill at sea level, I have gained an inflated sense of my speed. So far in two real (outdoors, no treadmill) 5k's I have not come near my treadmill pace.

After the race, the parade (special thanks to Krisy Wolle for letting us sit on her lawn!):


Then, gramma hosted a carnival in her backyard. Ring toss, sack races, tickets and prizes. The whole deal.
Manning the prize table



The pyrotechnics began around 3 pm with modified tank battles





And then moved to the front yard and street
Apologies to the clean up crew


Fireworks = mind blown
We topped it off this morning with the Color in Motion 5k in Rexburg



No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...