Friday, May 29, 2015

Annual Totally Awesome Brand Post (That Apparently People Like Even Though I Never Think They Will)

From the recently published Top 100 Brands 2015, here are those with which we (I, Katie, the kids, the family) have deliberate, frequent, and/or repeated interaction. I was once asked in a job interview to name a movie that described my career. In honor of that super useless interview question, I will attempt to describe our relationship with each brand using a movie or TV show.

So it goes: rank. Brand; movie and commentary

1. Apple; The Jetsons. To me, Apple represents the future. When I think of Apple, I think of the future. I've totally fallen for the branding. In Tim's mind, Apple = an exciting new day.
2. Google; Terminator, because, you know, Skynet. Seriously, why did Google purchase a military robotics company? Don't be evil. Yeah, right. And yet here I am using their platform for my blog. Gmail. Google Drive. Chrome. Search. I can't escape.
3. Microsoft; A Beautiful Mind. Because you feel like you're trying to solve a conspiracy theory that doesn't even exist when you try to set up their super-crap products. Also the barf scene in Stand by Me because: Barf!
5. Visa; Married With Children. It's really not that funny, or even noteworthy in any way, and yet it's everywhere. And that family was surely swimming in consumer debt.
8. Coca Cola; It's A Wonderful Life. Because America.
9. McDonalds; Around the World in 80 Days. I really don't love the food, but Micky D's has become an important part of our world travels. Reliable and ubiquitous. I've started taking pictures so at Henry's wedding we can have a slide show of McDonalds around the world.
12. Facebook; Hiding Out. It's a way to pretend we're in high school again.
14. Amazon; Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Madeline asked for a Kindle Fire. I was incredulous. You can get a real product, like an iPad Mini, I explained. But all her friends have the Fire and it has fun games, she said. I'm still trying to process the nonsense of that response. Why does Amazon believe it can steal my child? On the other hand, Amazon Prime is pure gold for overseas shipping.
19. Disney; Fantasia. Magic.
23. Vodaphone; I don't even know. It's not even worth coming up with anything. We stumbled upon them as our cellular provider overseas. Next.
28. Nike; The Departed. Don't get me wrong, I love all my Nike gear, but if they paid bribes to FIFA as alleged, I don't think I can remain loyal. Nike isn't the Patriots, after all. My loyalty has limits (except when it comes to the Patriots).
30. Toyota; Casablanca. It never gets old.
52. Gillette; Mad Max. Forget Fury Road. The original. It's a man thing. Also, do you remember that weird 80's helicopter show Airwolf? That scene where he flips out with rage and pumps a million rounds of ammo into every part of existence. All the while he had a freshly shaved face. If I'm going to go nuts with a super high-tech helicopter, I'm definitely pulling out my Gillette Fusion first. (Ernest Borgnine in a jumpsuit. What a crazy show.)
57. Colgate; Groundhog Day on account of the repetition.
85. LinkedIn; Birdman. Smart people like it, but I've seen it, and I have no idea what to make of it.
89. Chase; Pitch Perfect. Really just that one brief part where the background characters remind us they've been there the whole time and we realize, oh yeah, I totally forgot about them.
92. Twitter; Koyaanisqatsi. Yes, I stumped you with that one. I had to spend several hours of my undergraduate life trying to comprehend this bit of experimental filming. I'm trying to be a good student of Twitter. I'm experimenting with it. It really does seem like there could be something worthwhile there. But often it's just noise.
95. Bank of America; The Abyss. That's my nickname for their customer service. A necessary evil tolerated only because switching costs are very high.

No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...