Saturday, January 16, 2016

Anxiety

Henry sometimes throws tantrums (don't we all). He can get rather loud and a bit violent.

His fits had been decreasing in frequency but have been almost daily since Christmas. Here are some of my super clever, highly researched tantrum defeating  and prevention methods I have tried over the years*:
  1. Yelling back
  2. Time outs
  3. Dragging him by his feet to his room
  4. Threatening to take away toys
  5. Taking away toys
  6. Throwing toys in the garbage
  7. Realizing I was being childish and removing toys from the garbage
  8. Standing silently in a coil of my own barely contained rage waiting for him to unwind
  9. Leaving him on the side of the road
  10. Wrestling him to the ground and pinning all of his limbs
In case anyone reading is in a position to benefit from my experience, let me save you some time: none of these methods were effective.

Anyway, I have been attempting a more prayerful, thoughtful approach. Since anger hasn't worked, why not try kindness, I thought? It couldn't be any worse and at least then I'm not angry. This led me the other day to a tantrum-following quiet conversation with Henry that went something like this:

Will I have a bed in Manila?

Yes. Of course.

The same bed?

No, different bed, but the same sheets and pillow.

Oh. Can I bring my stuffed animals to Manila?

Of course.

Oh. Can I pack them now so I don't forget?

Sure.

I already packed all my action figures, so I don't forget. There in this box.

And here we are at the Reichstag in Berlin
* Katie wanted me to add that these include exaggeration for effect

No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...