I have been contemplating the Depression Era refrain: Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. Today, this notion is repurposed as "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle." I support both notions but note that the disposable lifestyle can be quite intoxicating.
Here, the children can show the way. For example, see this pic of the kids depositing funds they raised for refugees by asking door-to-door for contributions of lose change.
We are working on small things like remembering to turn off the power converters at night and riding bikes to church instead of driving. And I'm trying to focus on buying fewer items, but of higher quality.
Really, we have very few needs at this point. Besides groceries and some clothes, we could probably go a year or more without making a single purchase.
It is unfortunate that these ideas have gotten wrapped with political implications. Wise stewardship is a spiritual principle that brings peace to the individual and strength to the community, irrespective of discussions about climate change.
No comments:
Post a Comment