Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Annual Totally Awesome Brand Post (Which You Will Think is Boring)

I like brands and branding. From Millward Brown's annual Top 100 brands list (released today), here are my family's interactions with the top brands.

1. Google (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Artificial Intelligence). I am getting to like Google more and more. Previously, I have used their services reluctantly. Now I use them enthusiastically. They have pulled way ahead of Apple in AI. I just uploaded all my photos to Google's service because it automatically makes fun little videos and adds flashing lights to Christmas tree photos (!). This blog is Google-powered. The new "Inbox" version of Gmail is just the best.

2. Apple. I still love Apple. For example, I anxiously await their semi-annual product events (theres one next Monday) with the same anticipation as the Super Bowl. Yes, you read that correctly. I only buy Apple hardware. I'm super bummed that I keep having to put off buying an Apple Watch because of trifling things like braces for my kids. But Apple seems to be losing some of its joyful simplicity. Apple Music is a mess. I'm a subscriber because I am giving Mr. Cook the benefit of the doubt and assuming he will fix it in a subsequent iteration. My patience will not last forever.

3. Microsoft. Microsoft is something I deal with only at work and without the slightest joy. Recent hardware product launches presented some intrigue, but I still feel like Microsoft is for people who want to solve a riddle while Apple is for people who want to use their computer. Really, Microsoft is Excel, Word, and Powerpoint, which are entirely serviceable. I contemplated a PC for the kids because they got it in their heads that PC's are better for gaming and because at some point they should become conversant in the Windows OS dialect.

5. Facebook. I'm a fan. I wonder where Facebook will go in the future, however. I'm not sure how much longer I will remain a fan. The scope of post types I find interesting gets narrower, not wider. But I really like the few kinds of posts that I still like. I love everyone's back-to-school pics of their kids. I love Christmas morning pics. And, of course, there are always cat videos. Which I guess means Facebook will always be popular. Mr. Zuckerberg should invest in cats.

6. Visa. It's on the list because I use it, but I don't know about Millward Brown's methodology here. To me, credit card back stops are a commodity. I do not choose a card because it is Visa or MasterCard. I choose it because of its travel affinity affiliation (e.g. Marriott points or United miles).

7. Amazon. Amazon is the friend of expatriates buying American goods. But I am not passionate about Amazon. I no longer use the Kindle. Amazon Video is useless.

9. McDonalds. I am trying to put together a photo album for Henry's graduation or wedding or something like that of him eating at McDonalds all around the world. I used to sort of apologize for liking McDonalds. I'm just going to own it. McDonalds is a familiar place for our family to feel at home no matter where we are around the world. So I like it.

13. Coca Cola. Katie has abandoned Coke for Dr. Pepper. I still crack one open now and then. But our love affair seems to have ended. Sorry Coke.

19. Disney. We are a Disney family. We literally live at Disney World. A Disney World timeshare is the only property we own, so we have to use it for our address for state income tax purposes. Madeline still says she wants to be a Disney executive when she grows up. We buy almost all Disney (Marvel and Star Wars included) movies the day they are released on iTunes. And the House of Mouse has been on a killer winning streak of late. So many good movies. The parks have gotten even better.

24. Nike. Nike and I had a falling out this year. They changed my favorite line of running shoe, the Vomero, and the "improved" version no longer fits my foot correctly. Then I went on an expensive shoe experimentation phase trying almost everything Nike had to offer. Out of brand loyalty, I gave them many chances, but nothing works. Also, Nike DriFit gear is among the not so great moisture wicking alternatives available.

28. Toyota. I love my Highlander. And that's all I have to say about that.

54. Colgate. I have a completely irrational loyalty to Colgate toothpaste.

61. Gillette. They are like Nike: I have loved them but they keep making "improvements" that make things worse. The Mach 3 Turbo is a great razor. The Fusion is a more expensive not better razor.

65. PayPal. I cancelled my account a few weeks ago.

85. LinkedIn. I tested the job market a little earlier this year and started to see the utility of LinkedIn. But it is not something I use often.

95. Bank of America. In an unexpected twist, I have no reason to dislike Bank of America this year. They retained my business previously only because of high switching costs. B of A cannot come anywhere near USAA's customer service, but my money is safe and online payments are easy. So there you go.

Other brands I like or use a lot:
  • Moleskine. I still can't get all my thoughts into a computer with the same fluidity that I can a piece of paper. So I love having my Moleskine notebook handy at all times for jotting a quick note, making a list (which is sort of like a nervous twitch for me), or drawing a diagram.
  • Oakley. Best eyewear. Best customer service.
  • Marriott. As my older brother said, they're like the McDonalds of hotels.

1 comment:

Ryserk8@gmail.com said...

Another classic post. Wishing your family well

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...