Saturday, December 9, 2017

Tim's Favorite Things 17

Though I suspect few have missed it, the blog is back with my favorite things I discovered or experienced for the first time in 2017. Enjoy.

  1. Home ownership--I now have only one hobby: being a home owner. I suspect the novelty will wear off at some point, but I have very much enjoyed Saturdays of yard work, learning to change shower cartridges and leaky faucets. Raking leaves and shoveling snow was less awesome, especially since I have trees that lose leaves at different intervals. So on my third pass of raking up leaves I apprehended the necessity of a leave blower. Similarly, minute 138 of shoveling brought a revelation about snow blowers.
  2. Living in a neighborhood--My kids ride their bikes unsupervised! Friends drop over spontaneously! We rode around in the back of a firetruck singing Christmas carols! High-rise living was not for us.
  3. Hillbilly Elegy--It even taught me about my own life in unexpected ways.
  4. iOS 11--The AI-generated slideshows set to music are just the best. But I am somewhat less committed to the Apple ecosystem than I have been.
  5. Dunkirk--Best film in years, IMHO.

No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...