This morning I took the kids to the Independence Day Parade at Boston City Hall Plaza. The crowd of maybe two thousand, mostly foreign tourists, stared with befuddled curiosity as Mayor "Mumbles" Menino spoke near-coherent sentence-like utterances. He announced the Army...a whisper in his ear...he meant Navy Color Guard. I leaned to my foreign co-bystander: "Don't worry, I can't understand anything either."
Caleb, for his part, was eagerly waving his mini US flag. Aforementioned co-bystander got the idea to photograph my posterity for theirs. Then it went viral and I stood by as dozens made "click, click" of my son.
Next stop: The reading of the Declaration of Independence at the Old State House, site of the Delcaration's first declaration. I was near the front with a crowd of hundreds squeezing in on me from all sides.
The reading began and, on cue, so did Maddie: "TAKE ME HOME! TAKE ME HOME NOW!" I looked around and saw no escape through the tightly packed crowd. I stepped back: "Who's the idiot who brought kids to this?"
3 comments:
i'm laughing real hard at your very accurate description of the mumbling mayor. so true. so sad!
Absolutely hilarious - I found your blog because Katie's listed it on the BYU MBASA group, and hope you don't mind me snooping. Your kids are adorable, and I was so entertained by the similarities in your life with yours and our life with ours I read through March! My husband's a second year in Marketing and we're working for Nestle this summer. Welcome to the program, and we look forward to meeting you! Our kids are 6, 4, and 2, and run constantly from one end of the house to the other. That is, until someone cries. Anyway... once again, see you soon!
Laura Finlinson
I can just see you now! Thas hilarous. And Mumbles Menino. Oh so true! You are going to miss it in P-Town.
Post a Comment