Last I heard, Maddie wants to be a teacher. I say she was born for the fashion industry:
Katie says Maddie's reading has exploded. This is good. For me, that didn't happen until I was 25, so she has an 18-year advantage on me, and I turned out all right.
Madeline has discovered self-consciousness. When we Skype, she looks at her image, not mine (of course, so do the boys, but they do it to make silly faces), and poses and brushes her hair. She wears lip gloss but not yet full make up, though I suspect it's coming. She has requested to have her ears pierced. Katie opposes. I support.
"It'll make her that much older," Katie explains.
True. Though that will happen regardless (per the above photo, I'd say it has already happened). My zen parenting philosophy is that the right time to address this or that right of passage or essential conversation, is whenever they ask about it. I suppose there are some obvious limits to this, but when they ask about where babies come from, regardless of their age, that means it's time to talk about where babies come from. And when Maddie requests to have her ears pierced, that means, by virtue of her asking, that she's old enough to have her ears pierced.
![]() |
| Heart Breaker and Heart Throb |
Katie says Maddie's reading has exploded. This is good. For me, that didn't happen until I was 25, so she has an 18-year advantage on me, and I turned out all right.
Madeline has discovered self-consciousness. When we Skype, she looks at her image, not mine (of course, so do the boys, but they do it to make silly faces), and poses and brushes her hair. She wears lip gloss but not yet full make up, though I suspect it's coming. She has requested to have her ears pierced. Katie opposes. I support.
"It'll make her that much older," Katie explains.
True. Though that will happen regardless (per the above photo, I'd say it has already happened). My zen parenting philosophy is that the right time to address this or that right of passage or essential conversation, is whenever they ask about it. I suppose there are some obvious limits to this, but when they ask about where babies come from, regardless of their age, that means it's time to talk about where babies come from. And when Maddie requests to have her ears pierced, that means, by virtue of her asking, that she's old enough to have her ears pierced.

No comments:
Post a Comment