Friday, January 20, 2012

It's Funny the Things I'm Sad About

When contemplated, the foreign service life is a grand adventure. When chosen and approaching relentlessly, it can be unnerving.

Over the past year, Madeline has mentioned several times that her friends will go to such-and-such middle school and such-and-such high school. She wonders where she will go to high school.

I grew up a few blocks from my high school. I would sit on the front porch and listen to the crowd roar at the football games. I looked forward to being an Idaho Falls Tiger. Years before I became one, it was already a deep part of my identity.

It makes me sad that my children won't have that. I suppose they'll have something else. Even so.

1 comment:

Dave Liddicoat said...

Tim I know exactly how you feel. Living with that sort of uncertainty can sometimes be unnerving for kids and adults, but I am hoping, and I think seeing some evidence, that the benefits outweigh the costs.

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...