I am a chicken sissy. I can't eat it the way they eat it in South Asia, with all the chicken parts. I just spent ten hours on Thai Airways, during which time they fed me chicken, basically the whole thing, twice. So now I am very hungry because I didn't eat anything. I just stared at my mass of fleshy, fatty, sinewy, multi-colored chicken meat. And that sandy black stuff. What is that? Freaks me out. Nope, not going any where near my mouth. Do you have anything processed? This science experiment gone bad is making me uneasy. Anyone seen Saw IV? It's on my plate.
And when I recline at a comfortable three degrees, it's pavlovian, I MUST have movies right in front of my eyeballs. But I couldn't find the movie screen. Only a foldable tray was in front of me. I let the tray down and looked behind. No movies. I raised the tray up and let it down again. Maybe I missed something. I'm reclined at three degrees, where's the movie? This doesn't make any sense. So I asked my non-English-speaking neighbor if he had a movie screen. He stared at me blankly for a moment and then slowly looked away and moved his elbow from the armrest. "Um stewardess. Yes, you see, I've moved my seat back to the 'reclined' position, and yet there is no movie in front of my eyeballs. I don't understand." She didn't either.
Then I had this brilliant idea to leave my iPhone behind and really go for an iPad baptism by fire. You know, see if it can be done without an iPhone. It can't. The iPad is great for reading/watching on movie-less airplanes (I'm still really confused about that) but for listening to tunes while standing in a customs line, it's a little ridiculous. I just kept imagining that old iPod add with the white ear buds bouncing around in the ears of a super good dancing brightly monochromatic young person...and then suddenly busting out some air guitar on the enormous iPad. See that? Weird right?
The other thing is that my iPhone has all the things I don't want to forget and that now I can't remember, such as the time and location of my surgery. So the iPhone decision was a little hasty. Ill-advised.
Then I finally got to the front of the customs line only to discover that I was the only one of hundreds--probably because while their earbuds were tucked neatly into small pockets, I was trying to figure out which pocket could hold my iPad--who didn't fill out a disembarkation card. So I had to go get said card and return to the end of said line where I had to fumble with said iPad pocket issue for 30 more minutes before becoming literally the last person to clear customs.
Nine months ago, the day before I came to Pakistan, Henry stepped on my glasses. I bent them back into shape and they have remained precariously on my face since. Just before departure for this trip, they gave way, falling to pieces. I have no glasses. So here I am in Singapore with an oversized music-listening device and unable to read any signs until I'm within 15 feet and trying to find a taxi. I didn't immediately see any "taxi" signs but I did see "coach" signs near "transportation" signs. What is this "coach" they speak of? Maybe it's a taxi. A few minutes later I was browsing hand bags, a little confused at why there were no taxis nearby.
And when I recline at a comfortable three degrees, it's pavlovian, I MUST have movies right in front of my eyeballs. But I couldn't find the movie screen. Only a foldable tray was in front of me. I let the tray down and looked behind. No movies. I raised the tray up and let it down again. Maybe I missed something. I'm reclined at three degrees, where's the movie? This doesn't make any sense. So I asked my non-English-speaking neighbor if he had a movie screen. He stared at me blankly for a moment and then slowly looked away and moved his elbow from the armrest. "Um stewardess. Yes, you see, I've moved my seat back to the 'reclined' position, and yet there is no movie in front of my eyeballs. I don't understand." She didn't either.
Then I had this brilliant idea to leave my iPhone behind and really go for an iPad baptism by fire. You know, see if it can be done without an iPhone. It can't. The iPad is great for reading/watching on movie-less airplanes (I'm still really confused about that) but for listening to tunes while standing in a customs line, it's a little ridiculous. I just kept imagining that old iPod add with the white ear buds bouncing around in the ears of a super good dancing brightly monochromatic young person...and then suddenly busting out some air guitar on the enormous iPad. See that? Weird right?
The other thing is that my iPhone has all the things I don't want to forget and that now I can't remember, such as the time and location of my surgery. So the iPhone decision was a little hasty. Ill-advised.
Then I finally got to the front of the customs line only to discover that I was the only one of hundreds--probably because while their earbuds were tucked neatly into small pockets, I was trying to figure out which pocket could hold my iPad--who didn't fill out a disembarkation card. So I had to go get said card and return to the end of said line where I had to fumble with said iPad pocket issue for 30 more minutes before becoming literally the last person to clear customs.
Nine months ago, the day before I came to Pakistan, Henry stepped on my glasses. I bent them back into shape and they have remained precariously on my face since. Just before departure for this trip, they gave way, falling to pieces. I have no glasses. So here I am in Singapore with an oversized music-listening device and unable to read any signs until I'm within 15 feet and trying to find a taxi. I didn't immediately see any "taxi" signs but I did see "coach" signs near "transportation" signs. What is this "coach" they speak of? Maybe it's a taxi. A few minutes later I was browsing hand bags, a little confused at why there were no taxis nearby.
No comments:
Post a Comment