The house is big, at least by the standards of the places we have lived so far: five bedrooms, four bathrooms. Our stuff hasn't arrived yet so we are living with the so-called "welcome kit" which is much better than nothing but somewhat incomplete. Five bedrooms, four bathrooms, three pillows and two towels.
Maadi is south of Cairo and has trees. It also has rabid dogs. Sometimes city officials deal with the dogs by placing strychnine-laced meat in the streets.
We have a few cockroach friends. Well, you know, the kind of friends you swat with a shoe. (Friends? Friends slow down. Friends stop. [Just move on if you didn't catch that]). Unrinsed dishes left in the sink overnight will bring ant friends. These are not ants I am familiar with from the United States. These are pyramid ants. And they're mad. I can't really defend the statement that they are mad, I just assume that being big, and an ant, and in my kitchen sink means you're mad.
We hired help. Freed from cooking and cleaning obligations, adjusting to overseas life is a breeze. Also, while we're waiting for our car to arrive, we've hired essentially a chauffeur service to drive us everywhere, which feels kind of better than having a car to me but I think it is driving Katie a little bonkers.
The kids go off to the Maadi House to swim most days. This club for diplomats (I get lumped in with this group even though I hardly consider myself diplomatic) has a nice pool, tennis courts, super cheesy pizza, and a giant bouncy house slide thing. Unfortunately, they just started summer camps there. Our kids are not in the camp and thus cannot enter until camp is over. Next week, the kids start their camp at Cairo American College, so take that Maadi House.
Maadi is south of Cairo and has trees. It also has rabid dogs. Sometimes city officials deal with the dogs by placing strychnine-laced meat in the streets.
We have a few cockroach friends. Well, you know, the kind of friends you swat with a shoe. (Friends? Friends slow down. Friends stop. [Just move on if you didn't catch that]). Unrinsed dishes left in the sink overnight will bring ant friends. These are not ants I am familiar with from the United States. These are pyramid ants. And they're mad. I can't really defend the statement that they are mad, I just assume that being big, and an ant, and in my kitchen sink means you're mad.
We hired help. Freed from cooking and cleaning obligations, adjusting to overseas life is a breeze. Also, while we're waiting for our car to arrive, we've hired essentially a chauffeur service to drive us everywhere, which feels kind of better than having a car to me but I think it is driving Katie a little bonkers.
The kids go off to the Maadi House to swim most days. This club for diplomats (I get lumped in with this group even though I hardly consider myself diplomatic) has a nice pool, tennis courts, super cheesy pizza, and a giant bouncy house slide thing. Unfortunately, they just started summer camps there. Our kids are not in the camp and thus cannot enter until camp is over. Next week, the kids start their camp at Cairo American College, so take that Maadi House.
No comments:
Post a Comment