Monday, June 25, 2012

New Normal

Family dynamics have been, um, quirky since my return from Pakistan.  A work colleague the other day invited me to bear in mind that it takes two months to recover from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.  It had not even occurred to me to consider my family's psychology in that light.  But it is probably at least a little bit accurate, not so much for me but for the kids.

Last week I was doing something on the computer and Henry approached me and quite unprompted said, "Dad, I hated you when you were in Pakistan but now I don't hate you anymore."

And they have all had their moments (weeks) of regressive behavior.  Add in moving to Egypt and not having any of our stuff (our fingers our crossed for delivery this week....please) and it's a stressful time.

But I think things are calming down.  For the first several days here, Henry would exclaim in genuine surprise, "Daddy, you came back!" when I returned from work.  "I always come back, buddy."

Yesterday, he made no such declaration.  Still an enthusiastic hug, for which I was grateful, but no surprise at my return, for which I was also grateful.

I think this helped the adjustment:




Who could resist a bouncy house birthday?

No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...