I think most visiting my blog are LDS and will apprehend "fast Sunday" and all that implies. Just in case, however, a quick overview: We Mormons take one Sunday a month and skip meals, donating the economic value of the food to charity. This practice is also accompanied by prayer, usually for a bit of clarity about a difficult life decision or for the receipt of a desired object or outcome.
In Cairo, we have Fast Friday. During the most recent such Friday, the kids asked why I wasn't eating. Mormon readers, feel free to pass judgment that we had not already explained everything and trained them to skip meals as well. So I gave them some version of the above paragraph. Following which, they asked, "So what are you praying for?"
My response, "Three things that I always pray for. First, that all three of you will go to college. Any college is fine, but BYU would be really great."
Their response, "Of course, who wouldn't go to BYU?" At which point I did a mental fist pump.
"Second, that you will marry someone nice. Third, that you will serve missions."
At which point Madeline burst into tears and ran to her bedroom. This was unexpected as she had previously expressed interest in going on a mission.
So, of course, I followed her and asked what was wrong.
"Why are you praying for me to do something I don't want to do?"
"I thought you wanted to. You don't have to."
"I'm not going on a mission. My mission is to be an executive with Disney. I already have a mission."
Um, wow. My response could best be described as incredulity mixed with admiration. Would that I had such clarity at age 8. "Then that's your mission. I will pray for that."
In Cairo, we have Fast Friday. During the most recent such Friday, the kids asked why I wasn't eating. Mormon readers, feel free to pass judgment that we had not already explained everything and trained them to skip meals as well. So I gave them some version of the above paragraph. Following which, they asked, "So what are you praying for?"
My response, "Three things that I always pray for. First, that all three of you will go to college. Any college is fine, but BYU would be really great."
Their response, "Of course, who wouldn't go to BYU?" At which point I did a mental fist pump.
"Second, that you will marry someone nice. Third, that you will serve missions."
At which point Madeline burst into tears and ran to her bedroom. This was unexpected as she had previously expressed interest in going on a mission.
So, of course, I followed her and asked what was wrong.
"Why are you praying for me to do something I don't want to do?"
"I thought you wanted to. You don't have to."
"I'm not going on a mission. My mission is to be an executive with Disney. I already have a mission."
Um, wow. My response could best be described as incredulity mixed with admiration. Would that I had such clarity at age 8. "Then that's your mission. I will pray for that."
2 comments:
Love this story!
Thanks, Bridget. Maddie is pretty awesome.
Post a Comment