We went horseback riding with friends the weekend before Christmas. I had been to the pyramids already with Caleb for a class field trip but, shamefully after 6 months in Egypt, this was the first time taking the whole family. We followed our friends who had invited us to ride horses with them and I was surprised when, almost at the pyramids, they took an unfamiliar turn south, away from the pyramids (away from the Giza ones anyway).
We followed one of the many Nile canals (when I say canal, what you should think of is the trash compactor from Star Wars) and followed it until arriving at some lovely stables between the Sakkara and Giza pyramids.
At length, everyone was on a horse and riding through the sand. Given that there were many novice riders, the professional guide-to-horse ratio was low. Early on, Katie's horse tangled with Hilary's horse (Hilary is Maddie's friend and daughter of friends who invited us for the ride) and a double de-horsing was narrowly avoided. But all calmed down and we enjoyed a sand blown ride through the desert.
The horses, some of them less trained and fit than others, tired as we neared the end, however. We were all quite spread out by then when I heard a commotion from Caleb's and Henry's horses. I turned in time to see a buck, causing separation of hands from reign, then a shimmy, sending the loosened Caleb careening face first off his six-foot perch.
His face broke his fall, so that was good. I guess the other good thing is that it happened in the desert, the sand making for a reasonably soft landing. I, a novice rider myself, struggled to get my horse to stop as I yelled after his welfare. He bounced up fast, but did not speak. I believe he had his wind knocked out. Meanwhile, Henry's horse, seeing the confusion, chose the moment to lay down and attempt to roll over on top of Henry. Fortunately, he is short and his legs were not stuck under the horse. He scampered away without incident.
By now I was off my horse and approaching Caleb who, but for spitting out a mouthful of sand, appeared uninjured. Katie, who had been a quarter mile ahead, was running toward us. I am very proud to report that she was yelling, "Get back on that horse!" No quitters allowed in Katie-land. I like it.
And to their credit, both Caleb and Henry, free of harm, were eager to get back on the horse. Caleb even subsequently decided he wanted to take riding lessons, the perfect response to being thrown, in my humble opinion.
We followed one of the many Nile canals (when I say canal, what you should think of is the trash compactor from Star Wars) and followed it until arriving at some lovely stables between the Sakkara and Giza pyramids.
At length, everyone was on a horse and riding through the sand. Given that there were many novice riders, the professional guide-to-horse ratio was low. Early on, Katie's horse tangled with Hilary's horse (Hilary is Maddie's friend and daughter of friends who invited us for the ride) and a double de-horsing was narrowly avoided. But all calmed down and we enjoyed a sand blown ride through the desert.
The horses, some of them less trained and fit than others, tired as we neared the end, however. We were all quite spread out by then when I heard a commotion from Caleb's and Henry's horses. I turned in time to see a buck, causing separation of hands from reign, then a shimmy, sending the loosened Caleb careening face first off his six-foot perch.His face broke his fall, so that was good. I guess the other good thing is that it happened in the desert, the sand making for a reasonably soft landing. I, a novice rider myself, struggled to get my horse to stop as I yelled after his welfare. He bounced up fast, but did not speak. I believe he had his wind knocked out. Meanwhile, Henry's horse, seeing the confusion, chose the moment to lay down and attempt to roll over on top of Henry. Fortunately, he is short and his legs were not stuck under the horse. He scampered away without incident.
By now I was off my horse and approaching Caleb who, but for spitting out a mouthful of sand, appeared uninjured. Katie, who had been a quarter mile ahead, was running toward us. I am very proud to report that she was yelling, "Get back on that horse!" No quitters allowed in Katie-land. I like it.
And to their credit, both Caleb and Henry, free of harm, were eager to get back on the horse. Caleb even subsequently decided he wanted to take riding lessons, the perfect response to being thrown, in my humble opinion.
No comments:
Post a Comment