Thursday, May 9, 2013

I Want Him to Be a Man, But I Don't Want Him to Grow Up

It's 6 am. Caleb and I have been up for an hour. During this time, Caleb has described, in exquisite detail, the nuances of Minecraft. His recent pattern is to get up early to finish his homework and have iPad time without sibling interruption or competition.

Last night was baseball practice. While we walked to the field, he held my hand. As we neared the field he said, "I can't hold your hand now because we're at practice." He held my hand again when we walked home. Someday he won't hold my hand at all.

Last week we were on vacation at a place I call Little Des Moines. Others call it The Moon Colony. There is this strange little place in the Nile Delta that has row houses and wide streets and where you say to the kids, "See you later. Come home when you're hungry." And they ride bikes and play all day without supervision. There is a gym. And Caleb decided he wanted to work out with me every day on vacation. Awesome. Me and my buddy rocking the jumping jacks, burpees, medicine ball. What a kid.

I had a tailor come to the house to make me some new suits. Caleb was curious. "Do you want one, buddy?" He did. So now we have matching custom-made Egyptian cotton suits. I feel like we should co-star in a ZZ Top video.

And he says things like this: "Dad, I sure hope you're the scout leader again next year for Wolves."

"I will be."

And he pumps his fists in the air with excitement. That's called ego-satisfaction, my friends. And it's great.

Cool kid.

2 comments:

kira said...

Caleb told me all about Minecraft today. He is one awesome kid. I love this post.

lisamidge said...

I seriously love this post. It makes my heart happy.

In light of loosing my baby brother last month to a motorcycle accident, this post actually reminds me alot of my little brother. It wasnt until after his death that we heard stories of how much my little brother looked up to my dad. Remember these times, and enjoy them as they get fewer and farther between when kids get older.

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...