We were on vacation anyway when the evacuation was announced. In fact, we were in the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho and didn't even know of the "counter revolution" until three days after it happened.
We were in the midst of a typically Tim-Hart-overplanned summer fun extravaganza, mapped out in five minute increments for each of 18 days (I exaggerate only slightly). This meticulous and glorious detail included these ill-fated numerals: 0700 (yes, I plan in military time as it is way easier when up to 8 time zones are involved).
On the morning of our IDA to MCO (yes, I travel enough that I now think in airport codes, so to translate, that's Idaho Falls to Orlando) we were casually driving to the airport at 0600. As we neared the airport, Maddie said, "Cool, look at that plane taking off."
There just aren't that many flights out of Idaho Falls. It took about one second to realize this was bad. Suddenly the scales fell from my eyes and I saw clearly. I remembered the emails received one day prior: "Check in online now for your 6:00 am flight." Oops.
Funny (I use that word because otherwise I get too mad at myself) that writing 0700 on my master schedule created a confirmation bias so powerful that when I received that email, I understood it as "Check in by 6:00 am for your flight."
In any case, there remained the problem of not that many flights departing IDA. We couldn't get to MCO for two more days. Tears were shed. We began making alternative plans to just rent a car and drive to Disneyland that very day.
Ultimately, at the expense of time with Papa J (which had been scheduled to follow five days at Disney World), we were able to push back all Disney reservations two days to spend the same time there.
But seriously, who misses a flight to Disney World?
No comments:
Post a Comment