Caleb decided to try out for the "Dream Team" of his Tae Kwon Do dojo. This involved all manner of speed, strength, and flexibility tests. And man did he want it bad.
I know how flexible he is. I stretch with him in the mornings (can I say "in the mornings" if we got up three mornings and stretched and worked out?). When they asked him to go a little farther, he was at his limit. But then he just did it, pushing through obvious pain to reach about two more inches. And so on with the rope climb and speed kicks and other drills. Enduring pain to stretch his capacity.
I was proud of him. I might have cried a little in the dojo lobby.
He made the team.
Henry meanwhile, is doing great in soccer, so far as it goes at age five. They play three on three with no goalies and no throw ins. When a ball goes out, the ref just tosses another into the middle of the field. Henry's big advantage is that he never stops running yet never gets tired. Also, he just loves it. Sometimes he misses the ball because he is laughing so hard. Nothing "funny" has happened. It's just that playing soccer makes him laugh.
Unrelated to the sports theme, but funny, Maddie says to me today, "Dad, isn't it kind of weird that a naked baby would be a symbol of love?" It took me a moment to realize she was referring to cupid. Then I realized, yeah, that's totally weird.
No comments:
Post a Comment