Sunday, October 20, 2013

Goodbye Curb

I was leaving again for a three week work trip. The kids were anxious and sad. Caleb asked if he could walk me down to the taxi (we live on the eighth floor). Of course he could. Maddie wanted to come as well. Henry, a despiser of the goodbye scene, passed.

We went down with back pack and suitcase. The taxi was already there, so it was time to go. I gave them both a hug and reached for my suitcase.

"No dad," Caleb said. "Let me do this for you." He grabbed the heavy suitcase and dragged it to the curb.

Then they both stood on the corner and waived for the three minutes it took for the light to turn green and the taxi to drive out of view. It is strange how this breaks my heart, yet calms my soul.

No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...