Monday, May 26, 2014

Annual (Totally Awesome) Brand Blog Post (That You Won't Like)

This is my quirky thing. Deal with it.

From the May 21 reveal of the 100 most valuable brands of 2014, here are those with which I or our family has regular and/or frequent deliberate interaction. Note the word deliberate, which is why Microsoft is not on the list despite my daily interaction with Windows at work.

(Brand rank) Brand name, nature of relationship; commentary

(1) Google, friends; I'm a little bit afraid Google will become Skynet, but in the meantime, they just make super convenient stuff--Gmail is best email, Google Maps is best map, and I use Google Drive every day.

(2) Apple, BFF; I'm in what marketers call the love group. Apple products work, are easy, look cool, last forever, receive super customer service; the walled garden sometimes makes me a little nervous, but so far I have no reason to want to escape the garden.

(5) McDonalds, frenemies; Why? I don't know? But when we're in strange new cities, it's like home for the kids.

(6) Coca Cola, BFF; It's really all about the Santa cans...I just love the Santa cans.

(7) Visa, we're friendly at parties but never hang out otherwise; They're on all my credit cards, but I really don't care.

(10) Amazon, friends; When you live in crazy places in which it is difficult to find the products you like on the local market, Amazon shopping is super awesome. Plus, I love Audible, but I'm not sure if that is technically a different brand that just happens to be owned by Amazon.

(21) Facebook, like; See how clever I am. Yeah, I like staying in touch with my friends, even the ones who I can't really remember who they are but I'm afraid to be rude, so I accept the friend request anyway.

(23) Disney, love; Disney World totally hooked me up when our family reunited there after my year in Pakistan. Free services. Priority reservations. It will take a lot to undo the loyalty they earned during that week.

(26) Toyota, a regrettable break up; We sold the Sienna. Loved that car. Unlikely to buy another Toyota, however, for totally crazy reasons about the markets for cars in the overseas life.

(34) Nike, BFF; I tried Asics for a week earlier this year and it killed my feet. Nike rules my running life.

(52) Gillette, loyal; They gave me a free razor for my 18th birthday and I was hooked.

(56) Colgate, loyal; I can't explain it. I just really prefer to brush my teeth with Colgate.

(62) Yahoo!, Heathers; If you don't get that, you'll have to watch the movie. I don't like Yahoo!, I just use it.

(71) Twitter, experimental; So, I'm using it a lot lately, but I'm not sure it's going to stick. It's a decent way to get news, but there are lots of ways to get news. I don't use the social networking aspect of it other than by default.

(78) Linked In, experimental; I feel obliged, but I don't really get it.

(94) Bank of America, falling out; They sold one of my accounts and it made my life really complicated for a few weeks around Christmas shopping season, so I kind of hate them now. Likely to switch everything to USAA next time I'm in the USA.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I really enjoy your annual brand blog and look forward to next year's as well. I haven't bothered with Twitter. I just don't understand the real purpose of it. It just seems a bit vapid to me.

Unknown said...

I like Microsoft, and don't personally own any Apple products.

Running shoes: Saucony. No doubt about it.

Fun list.

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...