I will skip details to preserve a bit of privacy for my kids and just say that several weeks ago, one of them made me really mad. Like, really mad. And it occurred to me that the "fun parent" reputation I earned after Pakistan came at too high a price (often paid by Katie). It was time for rebranding.
I had to lock someone in a bedroom for about 30 minutes every night for the next few days, and they were not excited about the new Saturday morning chore routine when it was presented. But all has worked out surprisingly well so far. After the first Saturday of intense chore-doing a few weeks ago, the kids were rewarded with a dollar bill and a trip to the neighborhood store to buy candy or soda. Maddie came home and declared it the best Coke she'd after tasted. I asked why. "Because I earned it," she said.
A bit of parental success. Now, to keep the momentum.
No comments:
Post a Comment