Saturday, September 12, 2015

A Few Storylines

Tim vs The Grill. How we spend our summers in this overseas, frequently moving lifestyle is a point of grave debate and the most ernest consideration. For one thing, it is getting rather expensive to house a family of five in short-term rental quarters for two months.

So I presented this awesome idea of how we could buy fixer-uppers, spend the summer fixing them up and then sell them the next summer (or after a few summers as dictated by transaction cost, blah, blah, blah). To which Katie responded, "You can't even grill a steak."

I am purchasing a grill. Will Tim learn to grill a steak and thus earn his wife's confidence in fixing up old houses (because they are totally related)? Or will he succumb to his wife's prejudice that he cannot perform traditional male roles? Stay tuned.

Madeline vs Her Mother. 

"Mom, what did I do?"

"What do you think you did?"

"I don't know. I was just sitting on the couch."

"Maddie, I'm tired of being yelled at."

"I just wanted some food."

"The kitchen is full of food. You're eleven years old. You need to learn to get your own food."

"Do you hate me?"

Stay tuned.

Caleb's Tae Kwon Do Quest. Caleb achieved his blue belt in Cairo. In Germany, he discovered that the standards were different (more strict). He likely would not have qualified for the belt here without more precise movements. His confidence was shaken and he felt to retreat. To his credit, he is back on the mat and committed to advancing to blue-with-red. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...