Saturday, April 23, 2016

Refugees

Please, if you haven't already, watch this speech about helping refugees: Elder Kearon. I am very thankful Katie and the kids could spend time this week assisting in an effort at our church to assemble kits for refugees.



And this morning, Maddie and her friend are selling more items at a yard sale and donating all proceeds to a refugee shelter.

When we were evacuated from Egypt, we had to register the kids for school in Virginia as refugees. We had few financial worries as we received a generous evacuation allowance from the government. Nevertheless, it was an unsettling time for the kids. So they have found it easy to feel compassion for refugees who have nothing, with little hope of returning home.

No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...