I like looking at Michael. He is becoming more aware of the world around him. Every now and then, there is an expression on his face that says, "I just learned something new about the world." Then I wonder what he might have learned. This wondering makes me more thankful for colors, lights, trees, seasons, astral bodies, the smell of baby powder.
He has brought such peace to our family. He makes sense. Life can be complicated and sometimes hard to understand. But Michael makes sense.
He is perfect. Not perfected, but perfect. He learns. It is what he does. He can't help it. Learning is perfect. His learning sometimes takes place at 1 am, and again at 3 am. His learning taxes our physical stamina. But can I criticize him? Obviously no. Learning is perfect.
Then I think of my other kids. Teenage learning taxes emotional stamina, but can I really criticize? My Gramma Fairbourne once said, "I like teenagers. They are figuring out who they are." Michael is learning about place in the world while they are learning about their place in the world. They are learning. It is what they do. Learning is perfect.
Then I think of myself. I have accumulated a nice collection of insecurities and self-incriminations. Do I deserve them? As long as I am learning, no. I look at Michael and I let it all go. I am learning. Learning is perfect.
And sleep. Sleep is perfect.
No comments:
Post a Comment