Friday, November 11, 2016

Veterans Day and The Next President

I visited the Manila American Cemetery yesterday to honor Veterans Day. It is a quiet and reverent sanctuary in the middle of bustling Metro Manila. I was surprised by my emotional response. I cried. Tears rolling down my face cried.

I thought about our recent election. All of these tombstones to secure our freedom. Freedom to protest. Protest is cool. I disagree with Mr. Kaepernick, but I appreciate his approach. It is peaceful and powerful. I am struggling with these election protests, however. When I consider what they are protesting, that the election worked as intended but they would rather force their candidate upon the country, I just don't like it. I don't like these protests. I'm not angry. I don't hate the protestors. I think they are wrong.

Rows and rows of tombstones. They gave their life. All I have to do is accept a president for whom I did not vote. It is my honor to accept him as my president.


No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...