As the Filipinos say, I am so much grateful for our year here. There were stressful elements, to be sure. Traffic in Manila is truly a nightmare. No, seriously, you have no idea. I work five miles from home and have a 90 minute commute, 3 hours if it's raining. Walking is not a viable option for reasons I will leave to your imagination.
But Filipinos, as a group, are really the best; optimistic, hard-working, respectful. And they are always so much grateful for everything.
Katie and the kids are gone. As of Friday, the house is packed out and completely empty except for a couch, a bed, and two suitcases of basic living items. Just me and the cat (who is turning out to be a pain to get back to the states). Lots of time to reflect.
With the house empty, as it was when we first arrived, I recall all the excitement of those early days here. And it reminds me of what we liked about this lifestyle that we are leaving behind. I enjoyed the constant excitement of a new place and a new challenge. I will miss that. I will miss getting to know new peoples and cultures.
And in this case, I will miss specific people. Katie hired Tin as a household helper. Katie hired her over more experienced candidates because she felt right about her. A year later, Katie and Tin wept as they said goodbye. When the others were gone, I thanked Tin for taking care of my wife this year. She wept again. At the end of each day she would say, "I go-wing now, sir."
And I will miss my Boy Scouts. I almost didn't accept the new job out of loyalty to these great young men. We had them over every Tuesday night and they comprise a uniquely outstanding group.
I am so much grateful. I go-wing now.
No comments:
Post a Comment