Friday, October 28, 2011

The Help

Hina and Maqsood work for me. At first this was strange. As the fourth of five boys of a middle income family in Idaho Falls, I was independent. You want it? Go get it.

Funny how quickly one gets used to luxury. I no longer find it strange. I find it awesome.

They are a young couple, charming and ever smiling. They are Mormon (who knew there were Mormons in Pakistan). She speaks and understands English. He speaks some; just enough that I sometimes think he understands it. But he has no idea what I'm saying. He just smiles and nods.

I asked him to pick up five cookies from the store. He came back with five boxes of cookies. Close enough.

I can only go to the store if I give motor pool about 24 hours notice. This is a Diplomatic condition known as Multilateral Lameness. So I send Maqsood.

Hina and Maqsood are first cousins. I cannot tell if they are proud or embarrassed by this. They like to tell people. They get a good laugh out of Americans' efforts to react in a culture neutral way. They're marriage was arranged.

I have a roommate, Loren, who is the most social person I have ever met (that detail is not relevant to Hina and Maqsood, I'm just saying that's how he is). He splits the cost with me. As does my boss. I arranged the deal and had Hina and Maqsood working for me before Loren and Joe arrived, so I am the go between. Sometimes this is materially less than optimal.





No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...