Friday, March 2, 2012

Abdomen Test

I was late for the shuttle to return home (home here is shorthand for "it's nothing like a home but it's where I live when I'm away from home") from the embassy today. So I was walking quickly, and feeling no pain. I was thus encouraged and gathered speed. Mistake. Pain. Slow walking. Stopping. Bending over.

The good news is the shuttle waited. The bad news is that I failed the abdomen test. I cannot even walk briskly. I am lame. I mean that in the literal sense, OK.

In other news, colleague gave me an outstanding spreadsheet that tells me how long I have left in Pakistan down to the second. I have something like 5.9 million seconds to go. It also shows a pie chart of time completed versus time remaining. I am 82% done. I feel 99% done, but don't tell my boss.

I can't seem to look away from my 5.9 million seconds in their methodical descent.

1 comment:

James said...

Tim, It is nice to catch up with you via your blog during my lunch break.

While in b-school, I participated in a 3 week project in Malawi (kudos to you if you know where in Africa that is without looking at a map). I regained my appreciation for how difficult it is to live in the developing world. I can only imagine your excitement to return home after so much time away.

Take care,
-James Larson

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...