So I go up to the hotel lounge to eat some eclairs and listen to the audio book of Guns, Germs, and Steel and this guy starts trying to talk to me. He's all like, "Hi, how are you?" and that sort of thing. And I'm thinking, whoa there buddy, I have a 24 audio books-per-year goal that I'm behind on.
But do I say that? No. I'm all polite and stuff so I say hi back. I even extend my hand for a shake and give my name! Fatal error. Never give your name to people with whom you do not want to converse. Abort!
Too late because he's already like, "Bet you'll never guess where I live." And then I go, "Wales?" You know, 'cause he has an accent but I don't want to be all cliche and say London and, of course, I can't tell the difference between any of the accents over there anyway.
And then he goes, "Dallas, Texas!" and I'm all, "Wow, you got me" and he's all "I know, right?" And I'm thinking, when can I put in my earphones?
Then like a flash he's showing me photos of Petra and giving me advice about how to visit and giving me incorrect information about how far a walk it is and I don't want to tell him I've already been there and that I know he's exaggerating so I'm just nodding stupidly and stuffing eclairs into my mouth so I don't have to feel obligated to say anything.
I didn't listen to my audio book. The eclairs were delicious.
But do I say that? No. I'm all polite and stuff so I say hi back. I even extend my hand for a shake and give my name! Fatal error. Never give your name to people with whom you do not want to converse. Abort!
Too late because he's already like, "Bet you'll never guess where I live." And then I go, "Wales?" You know, 'cause he has an accent but I don't want to be all cliche and say London and, of course, I can't tell the difference between any of the accents over there anyway.
And then he goes, "Dallas, Texas!" and I'm all, "Wow, you got me" and he's all "I know, right?" And I'm thinking, when can I put in my earphones?
Then like a flash he's showing me photos of Petra and giving me advice about how to visit and giving me incorrect information about how far a walk it is and I don't want to tell him I've already been there and that I know he's exaggerating so I'm just nodding stupidly and stuffing eclairs into my mouth so I don't have to feel obligated to say anything.
I didn't listen to my audio book. The eclairs were delicious.
No comments:
Post a Comment