Saturday, March 1, 2014

Basketball Redemption

A player quit the team. This is regrettable. I felt really bad about it at first. But then a series of details came to light, which I will skip here because who knows who might end up reading my blog, and I feel totally exonerated.

Nevertheless, I still had to achieve basketball redemption with Caleb. Thus I conceived of the "hustle point." I told the team they would get a snack after the game, but only if the team achieved 50 hustle points. Players earn hustle points by doing any good thing that isn't shooting or scoring (e.g. rebounding, setting a screen, stealing a pass, making a good pass).

I tracked hustle points during the game and informed the kids of their totals during time outs and quarter breaks. This revealed to Caleb what I already knew, which is that he was contributing to the team despite not scoring. He was psyched to see he registered 4 hustle points in the 1st quarter. Energized, he re-entered the game and put forth his most vigorous effort yet, recording his first rebound and other positive feats.

The incentive had a similar effect on the other kids as well. They surpassed the 50 points required, won the game easily, and then happily consumed their cupcakes. And basketball is redeemed for Caleb as a valid pastime.

No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...