Friday, December 26, 2014

My Mom and Dad in Europe (Paris Leg Final)

This is the not-that-creative travel log entry for Paris days 3 and 4.

Monday, stop 1, The Louvre. I am not a museum guy, but the Louvre was awesome. I am willing to accept that part of the awesomeness was that we only saw about 3 percent of it and left while we were still curious to see more.

The compulsories:

Getting these shots just right turned out to be exceedingly not easy.
 

She's really not that impressive. So at least now I never have to waste any more time trying to see her again.

We enjoyed The Wedding Feast at Cana and The Coronation of Napoleon, paintings we anticipated and sought out. Then we all discovered a new favorite, The Young Martyr, by Delaroche. We also enjoyed the gilded room below. The experience turned Madeline into an art historian, at least for the day. She could not stop reading the guide book we purchased with its brief histories of a few hundred pieces.



We also really liked this winged statue, for which I did not locate a name.


Musee d'Orsay is closed on Mondays. Duh. I should have looked that up in advance. So we visited the Montparnasse Tower observation deck instead.


After which the boys were exhausted and returned home for an evening of iPad movie watching while Pam, Katie, and Madeline did some credit card damage shopping around Montparnasse.

Tuesday, final day. Sacred Heart church and Tertre Market, Montmartre, very near our apartment. We loved, and purchased, the street art.



Mom is very excited about her art purchase.

Finally, why not a macaroon at Charles de Gaulle 

No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...