Wednesday, December 24, 2014

My Mom and Dad in Europe (Paris Leg Part 1)

Arriving

My parents' flight out of Idaho Falls was delayed because of "fog." Now that I've lived in Germany and visited London, the idea of fog in Idaho Falls is funny to me. But I digress. So the generous 3 hour layover to the connecting flight in Denver was reduced to a 45 minute sprint. Mom and dad did their 70-year-old athletic best and it was just good enough. We gave them a day and a half of recovery time and then put them on a 7 am flight from Frankfurt to Paris.

Paris Day 1

Despite jet lag and an early start, they showed few signs of fatigue. My crew, for their part, has become a pretty well-oiled traveling machine. Henry is too tired to do anything until it is time to drag a suitcase through the airport, which for whatever reason he absolutely loves. And they all get a kick out of subway surfing in new cities. I think they like the subways better than the attractions.

Here we are having just emerged from Marcedet Poissoniers metro stop near the flat we rented in Montmartre.
First item of business, a croissant at our apartment. 
Then we just enjoyed some Paris streets on our way to the first major visit, the catacombs.


Near Strasbourg Saint-Denis
The bones of more than 6 million "long dead" Parisians are stacked in the catacombs.




From the catacombs to the Christmas Market of Champs Elysees.





No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...