Tuesday, July 28, 2015

The Least Busy You'll Ever Be

I attended a leadership conference while an undergraduate student at BYU. Henry B. Eyring was the speaker. He spent a lot of time speaking humorously about how busy he and his wife had been when they were students. He went on and on about the impossible demands on a student's time; the financial hardships of student living. There was no way one could do it all. He was clearly building to a crescendo of offering some kind of relief about how it would all be worth it, or it will be over soon; it gets better.

I will never forget his outrageous conclusion. I won't use quotes, since I don't recall if this is a quote, or just the way I remember it all these years later. He concluded, in effect, with: Well, it's just going to get worse, so you'd better get used to it now. This is the least busy you'll ever be and the financial concerns grow as fast as your income.

Well, he knew what he was talking about.

I have a work mate with one child, 2 years old, and I enjoy when he complains about how expensive it is having a kid. How quaint. I have one word for him: braces. Toddlers are a bargain. Toddlers can be entertained with cat toys.

No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...