Saturday, February 4, 2017

They Arrive

We watched Arrival last night. Such a great film. Shot straight into my all-time favorites list. Mild spoiler alert ahead: As Louise had her brain rewired by learning an alien language, I feel that my brain is being rewired by learning 12-year-old female offspring language.

But seriously, as I approach middle age, time has changed. The past is a bigger part of my present and, increasingly, I can predict at least the major trends of the future. Time becomes compressed. In the film, Louise sees the future. She sees pain and heartache. However, knowing that there is also joy, she makes the decisions that lead to the painful end. This resonated very much with my religious beliefs. Similarly, I have found great spiritual peace in accepting my place in the universe. Make no mistake, I am not resigned; I am consecrated. I interpreted the movie in this way. Louise "arrived" at spiritual peace by proactively choosing the path that was already laid out for her.

It is joyful to arrive, and to watch the arrival of my children.

Speaking of, here is a nice pic of Michael




No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...