I wore my new suit today. Sorry, Katie, but every girl is crazy about a sharp dressed man. As are most of the men, by the way, though differently. Either they admire you, in which case you have a new friend. Or you intimidate them, in which case you have someone you can manipulate. Either way, you win.
Seriously, though, I carry myself differently. I believe, though like "jobs created or saved" I have no actual evidence, that had I this suit when I interviewed for the private equity gig, we'd be living in Manhattan right now. Not so much because they would have been impressed by the suit, but because I would have behaved like a man wearing a killer suit. Nothing can intimidate me in this suit. Fashion matters.
Which then got me thinking about that strange line between investment and indulgence. At $600 I was unwilling to buy the suit, perhaps at the expense of job offers (though perhaps not). At $185 I was happy to buy the suit. But $415 more for 5x income for the rest of my life is probably a good investment.
(On the other hand, I am incredibly happy with my life right now, despite present loneliness, so I no longer look on any past setback as a disappointment. Would I be this happy without those setbacks? Maybe, but I'm glad I don't have to find out.)
I'm just saying, conceptually, spending on some luxuries can be a good investment in human or material capital. But where is the line across which it becomes irresponsible opulence? After all, there are still those $400 Allen Edmond shoes pressing relentlessly upon my brain's gratification center.
Seriously, though, I carry myself differently. I believe, though like "jobs created or saved" I have no actual evidence, that had I this suit when I interviewed for the private equity gig, we'd be living in Manhattan right now. Not so much because they would have been impressed by the suit, but because I would have behaved like a man wearing a killer suit. Nothing can intimidate me in this suit. Fashion matters.
Which then got me thinking about that strange line between investment and indulgence. At $600 I was unwilling to buy the suit, perhaps at the expense of job offers (though perhaps not). At $185 I was happy to buy the suit. But $415 more for 5x income for the rest of my life is probably a good investment.
(On the other hand, I am incredibly happy with my life right now, despite present loneliness, so I no longer look on any past setback as a disappointment. Would I be this happy without those setbacks? Maybe, but I'm glad I don't have to find out.)
I'm just saying, conceptually, spending on some luxuries can be a good investment in human or material capital. But where is the line across which it becomes irresponsible opulence? After all, there are still those $400 Allen Edmond shoes pressing relentlessly upon my brain's gratification center.
2 comments:
I too have caught the fashion bug. I justify some of the spending as an alternative to spending $60 a month for cable. ($720 annually) Thats almost two pair of Allen Edmonds, or 1.5 pairs Aldens.
However having the fashion bug in Idaho is kinda weird, especially as an aspiring engineer. Perhaps if I was an investment broker or a lawyer it would be easier to wear fancy shoes all the time. Engineers, on the other hand, wear boots in the mud.
An illustration of my frustration: I took Nikki to the Idaho ballet (insert your own snide comment here) and people were showing up in jeans. I'm not sure that any event, in Idaho, is jean proof.
I haven't lived in Idaho for a long time, but as I recall, Idahoans are VERY fashion sensitive, only the aesthetic is casual (jeans and plaid). But fashion is all about the right item for the right circumstance. Having good mud shoes is awesome. I love my water proof Salomon trail boots for monsoon season.
Though it is fun to go to a dress up event (like the ballet) with people who are dressed up.
Post a Comment