Sunday, November 27, 2011

What to Buy for Your Hubbie (I Believe in Shopping)

I have decided that I believe in shopping, as a core value. You know, honesty, hard work, learning... and shopping.

No really. Though it is important that I also believe in thrift and industry. And it is important that I say "shopping" instead of "consuming." I believe that having a "shopping" mindset about choosing a college (or whether to go to college at all), choosing a major, choosing an employer, choosing a spouse, is a moral good. When you are shopping, you are seeking value and quality. You want to know how it fits, how long it will last. You are skeptical of the sales person's unproven claims, until proof is provided.

I believe in shopping.

That said, for wives reading my blog, here's a Christmas shopping list for men:

The Compulsaries

1. Brooks Brothers Non-Iron shirt (if its not Brooks Brothers, it's a dish rag)
2. REI smart wool socks (for dress and casual, comfort rules)
3. Tie (don't buy a tie)
4. A casual watch (Timex--cheap, but good)

It's a Guy Thing

1. Big belt buckle (Ladies, you have to suck it up on this one. Sometimes guys just need a big belt buckle with a duck on it. We think it's awesome. You don't. Deal with it.)

A Little Luxury

1. Money clip (The giant butt-bulge wallet A) looks ridiculous and B) is filled with things he will never actually use or need again, he's just a crazy wallet pack-rat)

The Full Blown Luxuries

1. Mont Blanc pen (Men on the move feel cool when they sign things with a classy pen. Silly but true.)
2. A not-so-casual watch (Bond. James Bond.)

For The Traveler

1. Fragrance pellets (Keep the locker room out of the luggage)

No comments:

Grit

I just finished reading Grit, by Angela Duckworth. Read it! As with many such books, it left me with a bit of anxiety as I realize tha...