Being $3,000 and a two-day flight away from my family has been a priority crystallizing experience. The negatives are obvious. I have had to create the positives.
One positive has been to discover the power of hand-written communication. My children will not listen to lectures on honesty or morality. They will not sit still for me to tell them the stories of my life. But when they get a letter from Dad in Pakistan, they hang on every word like a treasure as Katie reads it to them.
I have this arrow in my quiver for six more months and I will use it.
We need to take the long view. I don't like the tactics they use, but I have sympathy for the grievances of the Occupy Wall Street protestors. I do not suspect they are making much difference toward the kind of progress they want, however. We need to take the long view.
Teach our children the values that make society whole. When Penn State students rally to defend a sex abuse enabler, it is apparent we are failing to teach our children values. Math and science are good. We need morality.
One positive has been to discover the power of hand-written communication. My children will not listen to lectures on honesty or morality. They will not sit still for me to tell them the stories of my life. But when they get a letter from Dad in Pakistan, they hang on every word like a treasure as Katie reads it to them.
I have this arrow in my quiver for six more months and I will use it.
We need to take the long view. I don't like the tactics they use, but I have sympathy for the grievances of the Occupy Wall Street protestors. I do not suspect they are making much difference toward the kind of progress they want, however. We need to take the long view.
Teach our children the values that make society whole. When Penn State students rally to defend a sex abuse enabler, it is apparent we are failing to teach our children values. Math and science are good. We need morality.
5 comments:
I disagree with your occupy wall street comment. Check out this link with (some valid) reasons why: comment:http://www.nationofchange.org/10-ways-occupy-movement-changes-everything-1320943628.
Thank you for the comment, me (I know who you really are, and I know where you live). I checked out the link. Interesting, but it makes claims without evidence. The first claim, to have correctly identified Wall Street as the source of the problem, is very problematic. To which problems are they referring? With respect to housing, "Wall Street" (if that is a meaningful simplification) was largely following the mandates of Congress and incentives of Fannie Mae.
So. After reading blog post, I came across this trailer. http://www.theotherfwordmovie.com/
I found it intriguing coming from men who you would not exactly expect to show much interest in fatherhood. (Or maybe I just have low expectations of them.) "Maybe the way we change the world is by raising better kids."
Amen to Midge. Yes! We have a problem on our hands that will take a generation to fix. There are many hopeful signs along these lines. I'm on a mission to convince men that being manly includes dressing well but does not include abdicating family duties in favor of video games.
Post a Comment